Natural Ways To Promote Better Digestion
Many of us experience some challenges with our digestion. Autoimmune diseases, changes of season, holiday meals, stress, anxiety- they can all play a part in throwing off or upsetting our natural digestion. Here are a few quick tips to help you naturally promote better digestion.
1. Bitters! Bitter foods have been pushed nearly entirely out of the American diet, but they are a very important part of your natural digestion arsenal. The best way to consume bitters is by introducing more natural bitter foods into your meals, like dandelion greens, arugula, kale, chard, brussels sprouts, and many others. Another option is to take bottled digestive, aromatic, or cocktail bitters before or after you eat. Bitters are a preparation of alcohol and botanical plant matter that have been used dating back to the Ancient Egyptians. They are commonly served after meals all over Europe and frequently used as an ingredient in cocktails. My favorite is Urban Moonshine Organic Citrus Bitters in a spray bottle.
2. Drink lots of water. This one is so important and often overlooked. Water is necessary for each organ to function properly, and helps to detoxify and eliminate waste, so drink lots of it.
3. Veriditas Digestive Massage Tonic is specially formulated to soothe abdominal tension, discomfort, and occasional constipation. Massage over abdomen in a clockwise direction. If like me, your body is not accustomed to consuming large quantities of food and it needs a little help around the holidays, this blend will be a must have.
4. If you are a person who suffers from IBS, Crones, Celiac, Diverticulitis, or other autoimmune diseases you’re likely already no stranger to digestive enzymes. My favorite is Digest Gold by Enzymedica. It helps break down proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and fiber.
5. Ginger does wonders for upset stomach. If none of these things listed above seem to help, or even if they do, ginger will help settle a cranky tummy. I bring it with me everywhere. Ginger capsules or actual ginger root are the safest way to consume ginger for this purpose. This is also very helpful for motion sickness, so if you get carsick or airplane sick, take a couple ginger before you go. You will notice the difference.