It is summer time, which means that everyone is outside- unfortunately that includes the bugs. If you’re like me, you would rather use a safe and organic DIY solution rather than introduce chemicals that may be worse than the bugs. Here is a recipe for organic, natural, and effective bug repellent candles using Veriditas By Pranarōm Essential Oils.
Here's what you're going to need:
• Organic beeswax
• Citronella and Eucalyptus Citriodora Veriditas By Pranarōm Essential Oils
• FREE printable label
• A double boiler or crockpot (if you use a crockpot, you also need a canning jar lifter)
• Heat-safe glass jars
• Lead-free, chemical-free wick
• Wick holders
• Wick tab stickers
• Popsicle sticks
• Gloves and protective eyewear (please be safe!)
•A towel to protect your counter or work surface from accidental spills
To make your candles:
• Melt your beeswax. You can do this over a double boiler on the stove or you can place your beeswax directly into the jars you're going to use for your candles and place the jars in a crockpot on low. Treat the crockpot like a double boiler by filling it with a couple inches of water.
• How ever you choose to heat it, be sure you do not leave your beeswax unattended. Pay close attention to it to make sure it does not become overheated. If you use the crockpot method, make sure the place where you will be leaving your candles to cool is right next to the crockpot so you don't have to carry jars of hot wax around your kitchen when you lift them out of the crockpot later. You might also want to lay down a towel to protect your counter in case of spills.
• While your beeswax is melting, you can prepare your wicks. Cut your wick down to the proper size for your jars and insert it into your wick holders. Attach to the bottom center of your jar with your wick tab stickers. Use popsicle sticks to support your wick at the top of the jar so it stays centered while your candle is setting.
• Once your beeswax is melted (if using the double boiler method) - remove it from the heat, pour into your jar, and add your essential oil blend. Stir well until fully incorporated and adjust as needed.
• Once your beeswax is melted (if using the crockpot method) - very carefully remove your jar from the crockpot with a canning jar lifter - do not tip the jar - keep the beeswax level. Carefully add 10 drops of Citronella and 5 drops of Eucalyptus to each jar and stir gently until fully incorporated.
• Make sure your wicks are centered and leave your candles to "cure" for a full 24-48 hours. Do not move the jars during this time. You can place a canning lid over the top of the jar if you'd like.
• After 24-48 hours, remove the popsicle sticks and trim your wicks down to about 1/2 inch.
• At this point, you can either prepare your jar as a gift to give away or you can do a test burn. You'll want to keep your wick trimmed to 1/4" for these candles.
We've made you a set of 4 printable labels to go with this recipe. You can download them here for free. Share your pictures on instagram with the #myveriditas so we can see what you've made!