To make this scrub, you're going to need:
- airtight jar(s)
- organic sugar
- organic coconut oil
- organic Vanilla Perfume from Veriditas Botanicals
- organic Peppermint essential oil from Veriditas Botanicals
- Add your sugar to a large bowl and mix in your carrier oil until you reach the consistency you like for your sugar scrub. I tend to plan to use equal parts of sugar and carrier oil, then gradually add the carrier oil until I am happy with the texture.
- Mix in 40 drops (per 16 ounces of scrub) of Vanilla Perfume (Vanilla infused Jojoba) and 5-10 drops of Peppermint essential oil (per 16 ounces of scrub). Start with just 5 drops of Peppermint, then test the strength of your scrub on your hands and add more gradually, if needed. If you can feel the cooling effects of the Peppermint on your hands, you've added too much. (I only needed 5 drops for mine.)
- Spoon (or funnel) your scrub into your jars and enjoy or package them up as gifts.
Peppermint is a very strong essential oil and is not normally used in the bath or shower. Because of this, we are going for a more subtle-sweet candy cane scent than an in-your-face Peppermint scent with this scrub. You want to be left with that sweet aroma of a delicious candy cane without the intense cooling sensation of Peppermint all over your body (especially during these colder months!). This is the reason why we are using so little Peppermint in this recipe. You might be tempted to add more to make the scent stronger, but I think you'll find that it's unnecessary and I would caution you against using more than is recommended. The combination of the Vanilla with the sweet smell of the sugar and unrefined coconut oil really gives this scrub a delicious, true candy cane smell. Just the right amount of minty sweetness without any unpleasant effects on your skin. I love this recipe and I hope you'll enjoy using and giving it too!