It takes a lot of plant matter to create an essential oil. That means it also takes a large amount of land to produce the plant matter. Think about how there are 50 Rose blossoms in every drop of Rose essential oil (5.5 million roses to make one liter of Rose essential oil!) or how it takes 2,000 pounds of Lavender to produce one gallon of its essential oil. The amount of land needed just to produce this much plant matter is so vast, organic farming is the only approach that is sustainable and responsible. It is also the healthiest way to grow! When choosing to use organic essential oils, you are supporting organic farmers (many of whom are small-scale, artisanal farmers) around the world and contributing to vast amounts of land that is cultivated in the best way possible for our earth!
If the oil is not organic, it is not as potent. If left to grow organically, plants produce natural oils called “essential oils” that have very appealing aromas. These essential oils also have strong anti-microbial properties made by the plants’ immune system that ward off pests, bacteria and viruses. These same essential oils that protect the plant can also be used to support our own health. For example, we use Lavender because the essential oil contains naturally high levels of linalyl acetate, which kills harmful bacteria and promotes the growth of healthy new cells. If plants are sprayed with pesticides and herbicides, they will not produce the same robust essential oils because these man-made additives are doing the job for them. When it comes time for harvest, you will have a weaker plant that, when distilled, lacks the potent aroma and healing properties of a natural one. Instead you’re left with a conventional oil that’s full of concentrated pesticides and herbicides – one that is flat-out unsafe for ingestion and topical use.
Cold Pressed oils from conventionally-grown crops could contain dangerous chemicals. Think of how citrus essential oils are produced. The conventionally-grown crops are heavily sprayed with pesticides to protect their fruit in the fields. When harvest time comes, the fruit is brought in for processing. The peels are pressed for their essential oils and the resulting liquid is put through a centrifuge to separate the water used during pressing from the essential oil. Unfortunately, even this rigorous treatment does not fully separate the toxic chemicals that were on the fruit from the final product, so the essential oils are contaminated with those toxins. Using a contaminated citrus oil exposes your body, and perhaps even other people, to these toxic chemicals that do more harm than the essential oil does good. Using only organic citrus oils for therapeutic use is very important. Organic citrus plants are not sprayed with pesticides and so their essential oils do not contain those toxins that are present in the conventional oils.
When an essential oil is labeled “organic,” this certification ensures that the plants were farmed, harvested, distilled and distributed according to organic methods. Following organic farming methods ensures that oils are free of pesticides, synthetics and adulterants. Most of the essential oils available on the market are sold through distributors who add synthetic chemicals or adulterants to "stretch" their oils - to make them go farther so the distributor can make more money from each batch of oil. Unfortunately, this also means most essential oils available are therefore adulterated and contain fillers and synthetic chemicals which are not required to be listed on their labels. All of our essential oils at Veriditas Botanicals are NOP certified and Certified Organic through the French certification agency – ECOCERT and USDA. We sell only 100% pure, genuine, authentic essential oils and we never sell any oils with fillers, adulterants, or synthetic chemicals added. Just pure, healing essential oils. You'll notice the therapeutic difference!
So, why choose our company?
From farm to pharmacy, our relationships are the cornerstone of how and why we do business.
- We believe that when we support small organic farms we are taking a revolutionary stand to promote healing of our bodies, the earth, and local economies.
- We are the first essential oil line to embody the Co-op Trade Movement on every level of business, and everyone we do business with.
- We are an active member of a Co-op in Provence, France. Over 85% of our oils come from our Co-op; the remainder are sourced directly from organic farmers and distillers.
- We are an intentionally small, Minnesota based company. We work exclusively with Co-ops and independent retailers; and they have made us a leading essential oil line in the United States.
- We are the only major essential oil line that does not sell retail to consumers; we send all customers to our retail partners.
- We do not work with essential oil brokers. Our direct relationships with farmers and distilleries allows us to provide the freshest, highest grade essential oils available in the USA at prices that are up to 30% less than the leading competition.
- We feature highly effective condition specific Wellness Formulas.
- Our education program creates inspired salespeople; able to share valuable information with your community. Melissa Farris, owner, is available for trainings.
- We support sales growth with at least two line drives per year at a 20% discount.
- We supply to quality, respected manufacturers such as FES, and several other nationally distributed brands.
We hope you'll support organic farming and small-scale, independent businesses around the world by choosing to use only organic essential oils for your family. You'll be glad you did!